The Richardson Pioneer Weyburn Red Wings were 29 seconds away from forcing overtime Tuesday night, after finding themselves 3-0 early in the second period. A goal from Notre Dame’s Sam Kroon in the dying seconds would result in the Hounds picking up a 5-4 win, though, handing the Red Wings their 4th consecutive loss.  

With the loss and a Nipawin win, the Red Wings are now 4 points back of the Hawks for 7th place in the SJHL standings. The win also pulled Notre Dame within 7 points of the Red Wings for 8th place and kept the hopes for the Hounds to make the postseason alive.  

Notre Dame opened the scoring in the first period when Jacob Ligi beat Eric Kahl just 3:07 into the first period. Then, Vincent Palmarin made it 2-0 for the Hounds at the 7:45 mark of the period. The lead was extended to 3-0 just 53 seconds into the 2nd period as Cyprus Smith-Davis scored. From there, the Red Wings started their comeback. 

At the 4:39 mark of the middle period, Ryley Morgan would score his 22nd of the year. The goal was assisted by Jakob Kalin and Lucas Jeffreys. On the same play as the goal, the Red Wings would end up getting a seven-minute power play. As the goal was scored, Notre Dame’s Rocsyn Bird dropped the gloves and started punching Weyburn defenseman Nolan Henderson. Henderson did not retaliate, and Bird was given two minutes for instigating, five minutes for fighting and a game misconduct.  

One minute into the power play, Elijah Anderson notched his 11th of the season to make it 3-2. His power play goal was assisted by Kalin. The Red Wings would then tie the game up before the end of the period, as Morgan scored his second of the game with 4:39 to go in the period. His goal was assisted by Braigh LeGrandeur.  

In the third period, the Hounds would regain the lead as Smith-Davis scored his second of the night on the power play with 5:19 to play. Weyburn would come back, though. 

With Kahl on the bench in favour of an extra attacker, while the Wings were on the power play, Ty Mason would beat Tucker Inabinet with 2:31 remaining. His 22nd of the campaign was assisted by Nicholas Kovacs and Morgan.  

The game looked like it would be heading to overtime, but then with 29 ticks of the clock left in regulation, Kroon would beat Kahl to give the Hounds a 5-4 victory. 

The Red Wings will look to bounce back and break their skid when they head to Kindersley for a pair of games this coming weekend. Then, Weyburn will be in Humboldt next Wednesday, before returning home for their final two games of the regular season – next Thursday against the Hounds, and then on Saturday against the Estevan Bruins.