The Richardson Pioneer Weyburn Red Wings came into the game Saturday night against the Kindersley Klippers with a ton of momentum, riding a two-game winning streak. They were looking to make it three in a row, but a slow shift in momentum throughout the game would be a key difference, as the Klippers went on to beat the Red Wings 4-2. 

“We lost our good habits there for a while, and just couldn’t get them back,” said Red Wings head coach Cody Mapes after the game.  

The habits of the Red Wings, though, weren’t the only factor in the loss. The Klippers had outstanding goaltending at their end as Matthew Pesenti managed to find ways to keep the puck out of the net despite numbers of quality opportunities on what appeared to be open nets before the goalie shut the door. 

“You’re not going to get many chances against a guy like Pesenti to beat him, and we had a few goalmouth scrambles that didn’t go in,” Mapes added. “It could have been 5-2 for us.” 

Nolan Henderson, who scored his first SJHL goal Tuesday, would get his second in three games as he rifled a shot from the point past Pesenti early in the first period. The goal, which came on the power play just 1:57 into the game, was assisted by Kirk Mullen and Colby Feist.  

The lead would then be extended to 2-0 for the Red Wings just past the halfway mark of the period, as Ethan Clements recorded his third goal of the campaign with 7:37 on the clock. He was assisted on the goal by Cooper Chisholm. 

The second period would see the Klippers start to gain some of the momentum in the game. They outshot the Red Wings 12-7 in the period, with one of those shots managing to get past Red Wings goalie Dazza Mitchell early in the frame.  

Prescot Senger tipped a hard pass from Josh Morton into the twine just 2:34 into the period, making it a 2-1 game.  

Late in the period, an unlikely candidate to drop the gloves for the Red Wings did so, right near centre ice. Jackson Ferry got tangled up with Kindersley’s Cash Arntsen. The spirited affair didn’t last too long, however, and the linesmen were able to break things up. Both players were given five-minute majors for fighting and game misconducts. 

The third period saw the Klippers take control of the game, as Tylin Hilbig, Josh Danis and Jaxon Georget all scored to pull away, giving Kindersley the 4-2 victory. 

The Red Wings will now get ready for their next home game, coming up on Wednesday, as they host the Battlefords North Stars at Crescent Point Place. The matchup opens up a stretch of three games in four nights, as the Wings will also be taking on the Estevan Bruins at home this coming Friday, with a return game on the following Saturday.