A Canadian energy regulator said setting a goal for zero incidents in the oil and natural gas sector is something within its reach. The Canadian National Energy Board released a report from its 2013 safety forum in Calgary. Developing guidance to prevent catastrophic events, offering more public consultation on safety and improving the flow of regulatory information were among the board's recommendations.
The NEB said the industry, meanwhile, needs to earn the public's trust by conducting its business in a transparent manner.
NEB Chairman Gaetan Caron said major oil and natural gas accidents can be prevented with a strong safety culture that permeates every aspect of his organization.
"The NEB believes that a goal of zero incidents is not only expected but achievable," he said in a statement Monday.
Several smaller spills were associated with heavy flooding in Calgary earlier this year. Regulators are still monitoring a slow seep of oil from the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range in Alberta province.
The NEB said it would outline its commitments to the recommendations from the 2013 safety forum later this month.
- Previous Pinecrest, Spartan join forces to create new $1-billion oil company
- Next Canadian Dollar Declines to Lowest in Five Months on Crude Oil