Saskatchewan's air quality is currently being effected by the wildfires in British Columbia.
An air quality advisory was issued this morning for many parts of Saskatchewan, including Weyburn and the surrounding areas.
"So what we're seeing, thanks to a cold front that swept through the area yesterday," said John Paul Cragg, a Warning Preparedness Meteorologist for Environment Canada. "We're seeing sinking air and an upper level flow that's bringing forest fire smoke from the B.C. interior into the upper levels of the atmosphere in Saskatchewan and then that air is sinking back down into Saskatchewan. Giving us a little bit of issues with our air quality."
People could experience symptoms such as increased coughing, throat irritation, headaches or shortness of breath. Children, seniors and people with a cardiovascular or lung disease, such as asthma, are especially at risk.
"We're looking at air quality that's moderate to low levels of particulte matter," added Cragg. "Not a terrible air quality situation, but enought that it could cause issues for people who do have respiratory problems already."
Officials also said there is a risk for homes that are not air conditioned.
They said to ensure houses don’t get too warm if windows and doors are kept closed to keep smoke out as exposure to too much heat can also result in illness.
"For the smoke to actually get to the ground, you need sinking air," said Cragg. "That was happening this morning and it seems to be happening a little less this afternoon and it looks like air quality will start to improve during the week. Even though you may see hazy skies moving on top of us, thanks to those upper level winds."
There were air quality advisories issued for:
- Saskatoon and surrounding area
- Regina and surrounding area
- Leader & Gull Lake
- Swift Current, Herbert, Cabri, Kyle, Lucky Lake
- Shaunavon, Maple Creek, Val Marie, Cypress Hills
- Moose Jaw, Pense, Central Butte, Craik
- Assiniboia, Gravelbourg, Coronach
- Martensville, Warman, Rosthern, Delisle, Wakaw
- Outlook, Watrous, Hanley, Imperial, Dinsmore
- Kindersley, Rosetown, Biggar, Wilkie, Macklin
- Fort Qu’Appelle, Indian Head, Lumsden, Pilot Butte
- Estevan, Weyburn, Radville, Milestone
- Humboldt, Wynyard, Wadena, Lanigan and Foam Lake.